This is a recipe a dear friend adopted (unknown source) that I've tweaked to my liking. It makes a very large amount; therefore, perfect for portioning throughout the week or for a big gathering/potluck. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Tex Mex Quinoa
2 c organic quinoa, uncooked
4 c full-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
1 29-oz can black beans, drained
1 15-oz can sweet corn, drained
medium red onion, diced small
1 pt cherry tomatoes, halved
1 batch cilantro, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 c extra virgin olive oil
4 t ground cumin
1.5 T crushed red pepper flakes
4 limes, juiced
Splash balsamic vinegar
1 t black pepper
1. Rinse quinoa 3-5 times until water is clear. Drain using a mesh strainer.
2. In a large pot, combine quinoa and chicken broth on medium-high heat. Once it simmers, cover the pot, and lower heat. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until quinoa has fully absorbed all the broth. Set aside, uncovered, to cool down.
4. Combine quinoa with black beans, corn, tomatoes, and red onion.
5. Add vinaigrette and mix using a silicon spatula or tongs.
6. Add cilantro and mix again.
7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate overnight. This quinoa tastes even better the next day!